Keep it up... think positive

De-Stress Concept #2: Think Positive

OK, OK, we all know this one too, "just think positive and your life will become more positive". This is the entire premise of book, The Secret.

Positive attracts positive, negative attracts negative or the law of attraction...whether through thoughts, energy, or actions is a universal "truth", but one that we can easily dismiss. Especially when we are depressed.

In other words, if we think we are happy, we will actually be happy. Although I found this bestselling book to be a little sophomoric ("if you think you'll get checks in the mail, checks will start to come in the mail") honestly, who doesn't want more checks to come in the mail!

Another book that puts many of the same concepts into practice is Henriette Anne Klauser's Write It Down, Make It Happen: Knowing What You Want And Getting It.

Write it Down is more spiritual and offers practical, implementable tools for putting the power of positive thinking into action.

I read this book for the first time in 2002. I was feeling lonely and alone at the time and keen to meet someone special to share my life with.

Feeling a little desperate and foolish, I followed the guidance from Write it Down and wrote in excruciating detail about what this special person would look like, act like and how I'd feel with him. I wrote it in pencil on a blank sheet of letter-sized paper and folded it up inside the chapter on "Taking Initiative". He didn't come along. In a fit of rage, I threw the book in the back of my closet a year later when I came across it while cleaning out my bookshelves.

Two months ago, feeling discouraged about my financial situation with the St. John Villa business I started rifling through some moving boxes to find my old marked up copy of the The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali (Sacred Teachings). Being like a bible to me, I thought I'd find inspiration. Before I could find the Yoga Sutra translation, I found the Write it Down, Make it Happen book, I'd bought years ago.

When I opened it up and read what I'd written 6 years earlier, it caught my breath and my heart began to pound. I'd exactly written (wished, manifested, attracted) a description of Scott. Scott is my fiance, best friend and business partner. I didn't remember writing the words (although I remembered the timing when I read the book).

I realized at that moment, sometimes we do get what we want from the universe. Call it a coincidence, call it a self-fulfilling prophecy, but I'm going to choose to call it manifestation and the power of positive thinking (and a little luck).

If nothing else, it made me start writing again. Writing can be a form of mediation for me now and it can even be a prayer (or as Henriette calls a conversation with God). Cool stuff. Much of what I've written in the last two months has come "true".

I'll try the positive thinking/writing combination right here:

A minimum of 150 people will read this post in the next 24 hours and 30 people will write comments.

I'll report back in 24 hours.....

0 Comments: