Feeling Overwhelmed? Guest Post by Susan White

How to Integrate Yoga into Your Stressful Life by Susan White

There are many ways to stay fit and healthy, but one that is becoming more and more popular with each passing day is yoga. This ancient art from the Eastern world is now taking the entire globe by storm with its reputation for being an efficient workout option and reliable stress buster. From stay at home moms who have to cope with the hassles of running a home and looking after their kids to the high powered executive who runs from one meeting to another, yoga is a powerful tool that helps you stay healthy and fit.

Many people however, find that it’s hard to fit in yoga into their busy lives even though they know of its virtues and advantages. I didn’t take to yoga until my life became so stressful that I just had to find a way to relax and rejuvenate myself before I was committed to a mental asylum. A close friend had just been diagnosed with cancer and was not expected to live for long; my brother chose to get engaged and married within the span of a month; I was going through a painful separation from my boyfriend of five years; and deadlines were becoming too difficult to meet with all these issues jostling for space in my mind. I was going nuts trying to deal with all of this when a friend introduced me to yoga. I insisted that I had no time for exercise, but after just one session with my instructor, I was a firm believer.

The key to fitting yoga into your busy life is to identify its important benefits and focus on them. I found out that:
  • Slow breathing helps: Yoga is all about using your body’s own energy to rejuvenate itself. Sometimes, when I’m really stressed out and frustrated beyond explanation, I just sit cross legged and close my eyes. I free my mind of everything, work, family, problems and even myself. I think of nothing, and take slow, deep breaths. When I breathe in and out from the depth of my stomach for five minutes, I find a remarkable difference in my disposition. If you’re a beginner, freeing your mind of all your thoughts could be difficult, but the more you try to focus, the more you get the hang of it.  
  • Taking small yoga breaks was a genius idea: Just as I take bathroom breaks and coffee breaks, I began to include a few yoga breaks during each day. All you need is 10 minutes, at least twice or three times a day. A few simple asanas or postures and I would feel my energy surging back no matter how drained or tired I was. Even a few simple stretches as you get up from your desk helps your posture and prevents chronic ailments like slipped discs and carpal tunnel syndrome.
  • Starting and ending my day with yoga boosted my confidence and energy levels: My hectic schedule often left me with hardly any time for yoga, so I would wake up 30 minutes earlier and spend time alone with just my yoga mat for company, going through my breathing and other routines. I also make it a point to spend 15 minutes before I go to bed, unwinding using yoga. When you start and end the day with yoga, you feel more energetic during the day and more relaxed at night.
I hate to use clichés, but there’s one that fits this occasion like a glove – where there’s a will, there’s a way; so find the will to fit yoga into your busy life, and the way will soon follow.

By-line:
This post is written by Susan White, who writes on the topic of Becoming a Radiologist Technician . She welcomes your comments at her email id: susan.white33@gmail.com .

7 Comments:

gurly said...

i found your blog on google.. Im really impressed with the topics you have..
Ya, Exercise is very important in person's life in order to be physically fit and have a good health. One of this exercise which help us to be physically fit is the yoga. Exercise is one of the besty weapon also against illnesses and depression.


yoga for beginners

Rachel Wainwright, Exhale Yoga Pilates Dance said...

Great blog! Thank you!

Yoga Classes said...

Nice blog...
Must read its articles...

rinku said...

Hello.
am relly happy to read your blog.and will try these different steps in order to remain fit.but i also suggest all for this link to learn other different steps of yoga at home in much easy way. YOGA Yoga Sivananda Bahamas
well help you to remain fit and healthy to live a long and happy life.

harry said...

Thanks for this this is very useful in life Yoga Teacher Training

harry said...

Thanks for this this is very useful in life Yoga Teacher Training

Rosy said...

You have beautifully worked on this blog. You wrote absolutely right that yoga benefits not only physically but also does the work for internal peace.

Rosy